Hey new Parallels people

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Stevamundo, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

I've been noticing a couple of new people from Parallels posting in here.

So would you please tell us what's the difference between 3186 and 3188.

2. Resolver

Resolver Member

Difference

2.5 - GA build 3186 2007-02-27

- Parallels Coherence
    - Parallels Transporter
    - Wide OS support
    - Shared Networking
    - USB 2.0 support
    - Installation Assistant built-in tool included
    - Drag and Drop
    - Graphic performance support
    - Boot Camp Support
    - Improved Shared Folders performance

2.5 - GA Update build 3188 2007-03-07

- Updated Kaspersky Internet Security
    - Fixed 100% CPU utilization for Windows 98

3. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Thank you, Resolver. Is this available on the website anywhere and we've all just missed it? And let me add quickly, welcome to you and to all the new members of the Parallels team. We all look forward to working with each of you to make Parallels an even better product and to improve the customer and beta tester experience. And it's good to have the 'Surge in troop numbers' to speak metaphorically - it's going to help.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  4. Resolver

Resolver Member

Let me see

5. Resolver

Resolver Member

Hello to everybody!

Hello to everybody !

Our support team is working hard to satisfy all of our customer needs.
    Please write any questions about use of our software products. We will really appreciate to cooperate with all of our customers in order to answer to any arising questions.

6. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Thank you Resolver!

Your post ought to be a sticky, don't you think?

Also, is 3188 the final build of 2.5?

7. Resolver

Resolver Member

New features ? Why dont you just read a user manual attentively before we start talking ?

8. Resolver

Resolver Member

3188 is not a final build of 2.5
    Program code is under intence development now.

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

One cannot learn about new features except by comparing the manuals of the versions being compared. Because 3186 was available for just a few days many people did not even know there was a build 3186 and don't have a copy of that manual. But they can still have a legitimate interest in what changes happened between 3186 and 3188.

10. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

That's extremely interesting.

So 3186 and 3188 were official releases of version 2.5 but not the final release. So we can at least expect one more free release from Parallels? Also when the final comes along will you please tell us. So we won't wonder is this build the final build of version of 2.5.

Resolver, You're certainly a welcome sight for sore eyes! :)

11. kosh

kosh Member

I'll second Stevamundo's and dkp's welcome to the forums but also dkp's response to your reply. The list you gave us is very helpful - thanks! :) - but it is not something that we could have distilled by comparing two 200+ page user manuals against each other.

There has been a lot of discussion, especially lately, concerning Parallels' overloaded support team, so an additional voice from the team is definitely welcomed. Because of this, I would *gently* suggest, in the future before replying "Why don't you just read a user manual attentively..." that you spend a little time digging through the message boards to see who and what is here and what their frustrations are: by nailing Stevamundo on this you've inadvertently flamed some of your best supporters on the forum.

12. White fox

White fox Member

Two simple questions:With this new version: Is the video driver compatible with Windows 98SE and do Microsoft Java Virtual Machine function properly?

13. White fox

White fox Member

As no-one bothered to answer, I tried it. Microsoft Java Virtual Machine works, but the video driver hangs regardless the fact that I´m trying with the 1970 version. 3188 isn´t functioning I assume as it has been stated earlier in this forum.
    So back to version 1970. This was easy as I had made copies of the hdd and pvs files. :)

14. abanks

abanks Hunter

Resolver why do you not sport the Parallels badge as other members of staff do?

15. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Good question.

16. constant

constant Forum Maven

Why does Workstation not get any beta versions like Desktop does?

17. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

I have 100% CPU utilization problem in my WinXP SP2 VM. Problem comes and goes unpredictably and has existed with all Parallels builds to date.

Currently using Parallels build 3186. Will 3188 fix this problem in my VM?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  18. mmischke

mmischke Hunter

@Responder

It's great to see Parallels ramping up support in the forums. I've never needed any help but I respect that others might. It concerns me that Parallels would pass off a build as official and then claim that "3188 is not a final build of 2.5". I've been running 3186/8 since it came out and have been very pleased with it. In fact, I've had no problems whatsoever. I use it daily in my work as a .Net developer and I'm concerned to hear that I'm now running pre-release software without my knowledge or consent. This isn't a choice which I would have otherwise made, since I rely on my VM to get my work done (1970 was also working fine for me). Why release something that's still beta and not call it beta?

19. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

There is an advantage to the customer to have a product achieve GA status - it means that product is vendor supported. Beta code has no warranty and no promise of support. You are a tester and assume all risk.

Once 2.5 was released they continued and still continue to improve it, and have and likely will again release newer builds, still version 2.5, and still fully supported. As users many of us are used to the open source method of dot numbering the product. We would be more comfortable knowing that build 3188 is Parallels version 2.5.1, but that is not their method. A rose by any other name... You have in 3188 a fully supported non-beta product that is two builds away from the original 2.5 release, build 3186. That's a good thing. The presumption is it is also bug fixes for things found in 3186 that did not make it into that build.

When Parallels releases a true beta it will be announced as such so that customers and testers have no doubt that if they choose to install and use it, that they do so at their own risk/peril. That is the nature of beta code. It is also the precursor of a new version and I suspect that version 3.0 will be the next major release.

20. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Yeah, the builds of 3186 and 3188 are official releases of version 2.5 but maybe not the final release.

It's like dkp said, all official releases are supported by Parallels.