Multi-screen support less worky then before (beta 2)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Bill, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Bill

Bill Bit poster

First off, I'm loving this new coherenece thing (though the name needs some work--something like "integrated desktops" or "seamless desktops", or something with more marketing 'zazz like "VirtuOSity").

However, the multiscreen support seems to be broken for coherence and now for full-screen. Before, if I moved the Parallels Desktop console to my secondary monitor and fired up full-screen mode, it would occupy my entire secondary screen. Pretty swanky. However, now if I try the same thing, the full screen pops up on my primary screen no matter where I have the console.

In coherence mode, it appears to try to support multiple screens but creating one virtual display that spans both monitors. However, if both monitors aren't the same size, or if the displays are arranged in OS X such that the base lines don't match, stuff still gets cut off. In fact, if the base lines are arranged at difference levels, coherence still cuts things off even in single display mode. If I line up the bottoms of both screens in the arrangement panel of OS X, then it behaves normally for single screen mode.

B

2. Pinguineo

Pinguineo Bit poster

Any news

I totally agree with what you said. Any news since your last post ? :confused:

3. Archy

Archy Bit poster

Hello Pinguineo,
    These issues are fixed in 3188 build. Now Fullscreen on second monitor works properly.
    To have Coherence working on two displays you need to arrange them at one level. It's very simple and tenably.

Thank you for interest.

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Multi-screen works great here... For the record.

5. luomat

luomat Hunter

3188 Coherence Multiscreen one level?

What do you mean "one level"?

I have them set one next to the other and Coherence doesn't work

On the left is my MacBook 1280x800 and on the right is my Dell display 1600x1200.

If you mean that we have to make them one on top of the other, then that's still pretty broken. I like the virtual desktop to reflect the physical layout.

6. luomat

luomat Hunter

This forum would be more useful...

This forum would be more useful if there were actually responses to the problems posted here.

Instead they die a lonely death, being ignored by Parallels who apparently prefer to claim "Coherence is working fine on dual monitors"

7. drval

drval Pro

Can you describe what you're doing and what is happening?

On my MBP C2D I have 32MB allocated to Video Memory and have no problems supporting and external monitor (24" Acer) in extended Windows mode, so two different monitors showing in the Control Panels/Display/Settings applet. The only limitation that I experience is the the vertical dimension of the workspace is set by the maximum vertical dimension of Monitor 1 which, in my case, is the onboard display of my MBP.

I believe that there are differences between the video chipset in the MacBook and MacBook Pro. I don't know if that has ANY relevance to this but I do know that it is working quite well for me.

8. Phuong

Phuong Bit poster

mine is Mac Pro, with 2 identical screens. when i check "use multiple display" in the View/Customize/Coherence menu, Parallels expands itself on both screens, making it as if i am having one single giant 3200x1200 screen.

imagine, i have one long taskbar where the Start button is on the far left and the system tray is way on the far right.

i have tried everything but never succeeded to get the windows to think that i actually have 2 screens, not one gian screen.

PS: im talking about Coherence mode. i never use other modes.

9. drval

drval Pro

This would be the expected behavior in a native Windows system with two such monitors connected.

FWIW, I pin my Taskbar to the left edge of Monitor 1, with AutoHide set to true.

10. luomat

luomat Hunter

Sure. I'm hooking my MacBook 2.0Ghz to my Dell 1600x1200 monitor trying to run Coherence across both monitors.

When I try to run Coherence mode I get a message saying something along the lines of the operating system doesn't support the resolution that I'm after.