lose airport on install of Parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dgaland, Apr 1, 2007.

1. dgaland

dgaland Bit poster

I couldn't figure out why my airport stopped working on my Macbook, until I tried uninstalling Parallels latest version. My airport indicator in the menu bar had been showing an up arrow while it wasn't working. Before the installation was even done, my airport was back with the usual full signal indicator.

I tried installing an older version 3036 and it didnt affect my airport.
    After reading more info, I uninstalled the 3036 and reinstalled the newest build to see if I could make it work, but it took out my airport before the install was completed. I again uninstalled. Then I tried reinstalling the older 3036 build, but it too took out my airport before the install process was over.

Now I can't install any version of Parallels that I can still find without affecting my airport connection.

Anyone else with this problem?? Thanks in advance for any help!

2. dgaland

dgaland Bit poster

Please help!

3. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I would be willing to bet an awful lot that you have internet sharing turned on after the install...

After your install is finished go into System Preferences, then go to the 'Sharing' section. Now go into 'Internet Sharing' and turn that off.

4. dgaland

dgaland Bit poster

sharing...

Thanks for the reply!

Each time I had the problem, the airport menubar indicator said sharing was ON.
    However, when I went to the preferences it was still set to OFF, with the button available to START sharing... couldn't figure that out or find an answer anywhere....:confused:

OK....so I downloaded and reinstalled the latest Parallels for Mac again and it did the same thing...before 5% was installed my airport indicator switched to an up-arrow.

Sharing>Internet box says
    "Internet Sharing Off"

"Start" is grayed out followed by:
    "You cannot start Internet Sharing because you have not selected a port over which to share your connection

If I click on the menubar airport indicator (now an up-arrow) it says "Airport On" & "Internet Sharing On"
    also has a network named "nds" selected (which I can only figure was one we made a while back for my son's Nintendo DS (can't find where to delete that network name anywhere)

I then uninstalled Parallels(again...) and before it was done my airport was back to normal....

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  5. dgaland

dgaland Bit poster

suddenly it works!?!?

just tried again, for about the 12th time, to reinstall the latest Parallels....don't know why I bothered trying again...but it is working fine...!

I made no changes to anything, but for some reason it decided not to mess with my airport this time...:eek:

Still would love to know any thoughts on what might have been the problem in case it happens again.:confused:

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I am of a one-minded sort... My guess is that somehow Sharing was being turned on... We really could not know though unless we started looking at System Files.