BlueTooth Keyboard with Desktop for Mac

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by MacPhd, Oct 5, 2006.

1. MacPhd

MacPhd Bit poster

I'm running Parallels Desktop for Mac on a MacBook Pro. I recently had a need to use my Apple Bluetooth keyboard with it and had some dificulties. First of all, when in Windows, the numeric keypad portion of the keyboard acted as if the num lock key was not on. :confused: Trouble is, there's no num lock key on that keyboard. I pushed a number of different keys which I thought might do the job and eventually, one did :D and now the numeric pad does produce numbers. However, the Enter key on the numeric pad does not "Enter" - instead, it seems to have become an "Alt" key. :mad:

Is this a bug in Parallels or is there some other setup that I need to do to make this work like it's supposed to?

2. Mariner

Mariner Bit poster

Which key did you push to get the numbers to work?

J

3. kosh

kosh Member

The "clear" key (above 7) is the NumLock key.

4. Mariner

Mariner Bit poster

Kosh,

Thanks for taking the time to answer what I now deem a simple question due to my inexperience with Apple, although there is no visual cue on the Apple bluetooth keyboard that the number lock is on. Also, the Mac help files on this seemed to cater mostly to Powerbooks.

In regards to the original poster of this thread, I did find that the enter key does what it is supposed to do on my keyboard anyway, whether or not 'num lock' is on. I couldn't find anything in preferences at the moment that would help your situation.

Thanks again Kosh.

John

5. kosh

kosh Member

John,

You're very welcome. That's what the user forums are for. :)

Re: Enter-as-Alt key problem. MacPhd, does the problem recur if you back your way out of Parallels (even to the point of shutting down and restarting the Mac) and only press the Clear (NumLock) key once after restarting your VM? I'm just wondering if the process of pressing keys to find NumLock may have left the VM keyboard in a confused state (for lack of a better term).