Using the Verizon Broadband Card

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rlane, Oct 2, 2006.

1. rlane

rlane Bit poster

When using the Verizon Broadband card on the MAC side it works fine. When attempting to utilize it on the VM side I receive an error stating the card is not available to for use by parallels VM. I can utilize the Apple Wireless with no issues. What do I need to configure.

Thanks,

Richard

2. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

Search this forum for EVDO and you will see that it has been discussed, though I beleive not yet resolved for everybody.

3. oberhaus

oberhaus Bit poster

I believe that ultimately the problem is that Parallels is relying on Apple's Internet Connection Sharing when choosing Host-only networking, and ICS won't route arbitrarily for you; instead it does NAT from a specific physical adapter to a group of other physical adapters.

The way NAT works in VMware Workstation is much more flexible; the equivalent of "Host-only networking" in VMware would set up 192.168.2.1 on the virtual nic, and hand out 192.168.2.x addresses to each adapter in each guest machine. Then natd is set up to NAT 192.168.2.x from that adapter, and not to a specific physical adapter. The result is that I can connect from guest OS's to anywhere else via wifi/ethernet or over a VPN, all without reconfiguring anything. The route table in the host operating system determined where my packets went.

In the case of an EVDO adapter, it would be the same; you would configure it against OSX, and your Windows/Linux/whatever would use the EVDO adapter via the NAT connection. When you pull the EVDO card out and turn on Wifi, your OSX route table would change, and then all your guest OS's would still "just work".

But since it doesn't work that way with Parallels, I have a similar problem; I have to run three copies of my VPN software (all with their own unique key), because I need one for OSX, one for Windows Parallels guest, and one for Linux Parallels guest. If this NAT was done right, I'd only need one for OSX. Also, every time I move between home and office, I have to stop and restart Internet Connection Sharing to inform it that I want to share my Airport connection instead of Ethernet connection, or vice-versa.

I hope that Parallels will do something similar. It's possible that the configuration I'm talking about can be done in OSX by simplying running natd and dhcpd with the correct options, but I haven't spent enough time figuring it out.