Parallels 3.0 Not Working in Leopard 10.5

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by rempe00, Oct 26, 2007.

1. rempe00

rempe00 Bit poster

I just installed Leopard today and now Parallels quits unexpectedly whenever I try to launch it. I have restarted my computer and so far have been unable to launch Parallels since I upgraded to Leopard.

2. jkajfes

jkajfes Bit poster

running into the same problem here... got parallels 3.0 a week days ago, installed it in Tiger running boot camp, running XP pro... no probs for a week...
    tonight I do the Leopard upgrade and wham...

did the 3.0 Parallels need to be uninstalled first... ??

3. dmgwork

dmgwork Member

working for me

I just installed 10.5 on a macbook pro and parallels booted fine

4. jkajfes

jkajfes Bit poster

interesting... not sure what the heck I did wrong... same computer a MacBook Pro loaded... and I'm not sure how to fix this at this point.. thanks for the update info on yours though...

5. lbealsjr

lbealsjr Bit poster

Same problem

Updgraded to Leopard on a Intel MacPro, booted into Windows via Boot Camp, ran the new drivers installation, rebooted into Leopard, when I tried to start Parallels (using Boot Camp pvs from before Leopard upgrade) got error message stating that Parallels couldn't communicate with one of its drivers and it recommended reinstalling Parallels. Did so and Parallels would start but got the spinning beach ball of death for the parallels Windows and the icon did not show its usual sand running through the hourglass as it started up parallels.

Lawrence

Update: I was finally able to get mine restarted by deleting all of Parallels from the Mac, reinstalling it and then making new Virtual machines. Be sure to reinstall Parallel Tools on your windows OS also.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  6. MacClueless

MacClueless Member

Uninstall, reinstall. Works fine.

7. john.

john. Member

So did you loose all of your data files in W XP ??

John

8. tjmcdiii

tjmcdiii Bit poster

I also had to reinstall Parallels after upgrading to Leopard. I use Boot Camp as my VM, and, although it now seems to be running OK again, every time I launch Parallels I get a timeout error message after clicking out of which the VM runs fine.

9. Chargeback

Chargeback Bit poster

Nothing did work. Paralles is not working on my iMac 2,8 Extreme with OS X 10.5 Leopard.
    What is going wrong with parallels. vm ware works fine, but I am used to work with parallels. What can I do to get it started again and to rescue my windows data ?

10. biglar

biglar Pro

Leopard Install

When I first loaded Leopard I got the parallels message it couldn't find its drivers. After rebooting the MAC two or three times, it works fine. No problems.

I did not reinstall.

Using IMac with 2gb memory.

11. lfedje

lfedje Junior Member

lbealsjr, when you uninstalled Parallels, what procedure did you take? It would be appreciated it you would provide some step by step instructions, as I don't want to mess anything up. Although I have been using Parallels for about a year now, I haven't had need to uninstall or re-install. I am running vs. 3.0 build 5160.

Also if I make new Virtual Machine, how do I get my present windows xp image into the new VM, and maintain integrity.

Any help would be appreciated.

12. jkajfes

jkajfes Bit poster

comments are interesting. I think it might be in folks best interests to uninstall parallels before installing Leopard...
    I'm not the brightest light when it comes to tech'ing computer glitches...
    I ended up reinstalling parallels and things seem to be working... I've got other issues with Leopard

13. capkapak

capkapak Bit poster

For me I had to customise the Parallels .pvs file to reflect a custom Bootcamp partition although this was not needed when I was running Tiger. After this customisation all was well.

14. Skeuomorph

Skeuomorph Junior Member

Worked, then quit working

Upgraded MacBook Pro to Leopard last night. Parallels 3.0 (5160) worked (i.e., the XP VM ran) but Parallels itself wouldn't quit without a Force Quit. This afternoon it took 5+ mins to start the XP VM, and after running, wouldn't shut down the XP VM. And now, attempting to run the VM throws two or three errors then the Mac itself will "grey screen" requiring a forced power off. Interesting how it degraded over a period of runs.

15. lbealsjr

lbealsjr Bit poster

I have seen the same issue where you have to force quit Parallels and it doesn't properly shut down the XP system and Parallel Tools Center hangs and won't shutdown. You end up without the "shortcuts" for the XP drive (if using bootcamp) on the desktop, the drive is unmountable, it no longer shows up in the startup drive utility and if you shutdown and try to boot into Windows it blue screens with an "unmountable boot volume" error. Work around is to hit F8 while booting into XP and then implicitly selecting the Windows XP Professional OS. It appears to want to boot into the Parallels option.

Back to using boot camp and switching back and forth until (or if) this issue is fixed.

Lawrence

16. lbealsjr

lbealsjr Bit poster

lfedje,

What I did was to run the Parallels installer and select the uninstall Parallels app. Then restarted OSX and ran the installer again. I have XP on a separate internal drive and just generated another bootcamp option for my parallels VM so I didn't lose any data but the system is pretty flakey at present. Incomplete shutdowns resulting in that volume being unmountable once you force quit Parallels. Right now I have gone back to using Boot Camp instead of Parallels for production work. Too many other issues, like how it handles NTFS internal drives, drive mappings, firewire drives etc for it to be real useful at this point.

17. BenFischer

BenFischer Bit poster

Parallels won't install in Leopard

I had Parallels 2.0 installed on Tiger. When I got Leopard I figured I'd upgrade to Parallels 3.0. Installed Leopard, starting upgrading Parallels and it hung.

The installer hangs with this message in the logs
    Oct 27 15:11:34 runner[402]: preflight[404]:
    Oct 27 15:11:36 runner[402]: preflight[404]: can't add kext (file access/permissions).
    Oct 27 15:11:36 runner[402]: preflight[404]:

Of course, now Parallels (either version) won't run. I've uninstalled, rebooted, fixed permissions, with no luck.

18. jkajfes

jkajfes Bit poster

leopard should have came with some kind of pre look which would give you list of the programs that might not work properly in the new o/s... and give you the option of removing them beforehand... the list would also let you trouble shoot the suspected apps instead of running around playing musical chairs.

refine it to a point where if it finds ten such apps a window pops up on the screen saying....

Fool... do you actually think you're going to get this computer back up and running today? Gather up the software and packaging and don't walk but run back to the retailer...

.... not in my lifetime I suppose...

19. nsmnsm

nsmnsm Bit poster

I've just upgraded to Leopard and installed Parallels for the first time. When I launch Parallels Desktop, it immediately crashes. I've tried downloading the latest version and installing that. Same problem.

20. BenFischer

BenFischer Bit poster

I downloaded the latest build off the internet and after a couple tries it completed. However, I still can't start my existing virtual machine because Parallels can't allocate memory to the display. I got a kernal panic one time when I tried again.

Not going well...