Invisible mouse pointer in Fedora 40

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by JeffH26, Apr 29, 2024.

1. JeffH26

JeffH26 Bit poster

Using Parallels Desktop Version 19.3.0 (54924) and Fedora 40 vm on a MacBook Pro with the M1 chip. Today when I login to the vm, the mouse pointer disappears. The mouse is connected via bluetooth. It's visible on the vm's login screen, but then goes away after logging in. I can tell where the mouse pointer actually is when UI elements activate and I can click, but I cannot see the mouse pointer. I have tried multiple restarts, checking for updates, as well as reinstalling the Parallels Tools with no success. Need help please.

2. PaulO12

PaulO12 Bit poster

Best Answer
    Same system and issue here, only workaround I've found is to turn of 3D acceleration which isn't ideal.

Setting WLR_NO_HARXDWARE_CURSORS in /etc/environment hasn't worked either.

JohnH35 and JeffH26 like this.
  3. KarlS12

KarlS12 Bit poster

I am running into the same thing. As an added wrinkle, I am running the KDE Plasma 6 spin.

4. PaulO12

PaulO12 Bit poster

Best Answer
    Same system and issue here, only workaround I've found is to turn of 3D acceleration which isn't ideal.

Setting WLR_NO_HARXDWARE_CURSORS in /etc/environment hasn't worked either.

JohnH35 and JeffH26 like this.
  5. JayC8

JayC8 Bit poster

Same issue here, anyone found a solution?

6. JeffH26

JeffH26 Bit poster

Thanks for the idea. For me, I just reverted to Fedora 39 in a prior snapshot of my VM.

7. MikeFromRado!

MikeFromRado!

Same issue here, unfortunately installing custom themes and cursors did nothing. I think we need a patch from Parallels.

JeffH26 likes this.
  8. JohnH35

JohnH35 Bit poster

Thanks for the tip, it worked for me! Was driving me crazy for several hours trying all sorts of fixes. Anyway, turning off 3D did the trick.

JeffH26 likes this.
  9. VictorG7

VictorG7

This is still an issue. I had to disable 3D acceleration as mentioned by previous comments.

JeffH26 likes this.