Mac m3 setup to run older .Net applications

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by MichaelB167, Apr 18, 2024.

1. MichaelB167

MichaelB167 Bit poster

Hey Community,

I recently started a new job where majority of the dev works is .NET and am trying to get some of the older legacy projects set up.

I have a Mac m3 pro chip 18GB RAM. The projects I am trying to run has .NET versions between 2.2 - 6.8. Unfortunately upgrading the projects is not an option right now as they locked into a massive system.

I've got Parallels installed and used that to download visual studio. I've followed the standard dev set up info given by the company but get an error when ever I try run the application in visual studio:
    IIS Express on ARM64 is only supported for ASP .NET Core applications targeting .NET 7.0 and newer.

When I try debug it seems like everything builds just fine but the tests just don't run...

Seems like this is a problem that I have found on a few forums / threads, but theres not a clear solution anywhere.
    I have also tried with Docker via the mac side with Rider but having some issues there too, saying: Unsupported combination of container OS (linux) and CPU architecture (ARM32)

Has anyone with a Macbook Silicon chip been able to get around this and gotten older projects to run, and if so how did you come right?